Michelin star Chef J.P McMahon joins amazing line-up of culinary experts set to host fantastic demonstrations celebrating the West of Ireland’s finest local seafood
Connemara Mussel Festival is set to uncover the incredible culinary and artistic delights the West of Ireland has to offer.
Connemara Mussel Festival is to serve up a spectacular feast for the senses as Ireland’s leading chefs showcase the wonderful local produce Galway has to offer alongside a string of top-class demonstrations.
J.P McMahon will be serving up a seaweed and lamb dish using Connemara Lamb- Bernard King. Executive Head-Chef Jack Duffy and Justyna Janusiewicz of locally based vegan company, Sweet Nothings, will also join the host of many leading culinary talents set to host interactive cookery demonstrations. Justyna will showcase vegan cookery using seaweed while Jack Duffy will host demonstrations on paella pan cooking.
This diverse, family-fun festival showcases the very best of Ireland’s food, culture and heritage while celebrating the local community. The Artisan Market is a unique showcase of Connemara’s wonderful local craft produce.
One of Ireland’s leading field archaeologists Michael Gibbons will host enthralling talks on Connemara’s maritime history and archaeology in addition to exciting fieldtrips into the Connemara Highlands. Visitors will also explore the facts and folklore of the sea with captivating talks on the beliefs and folk stories shared by generations of sea faring people. Historian Seán Gannon will shed new insights on traditional views of the infamous Amritsar Massacre one hundred years on with all-absorbing talks not to be missed.
Children’s cookery workshops with John O’Toole & Marguriette Heanue of Kylemore Abbey will inspire young, budding chefs of the future and pass on key cookery skills to the next generation. Kids will learn first-hand from the very best in the business, with the workshops focusing on the theme -‘Get your Vitamin Sea’.
The Agriaware Pet Farm will also be on site while the Aquaculture Remote Classroom will captivate young people’s imagination and offer a unique insight into aquaculture.
Chairperson of Connemara Mussel Festival Gerard Coyne said: “The Connemara Mussel Festival aims to offer a weekend full of activities designed to educate and entertain local people and national and international tourists. This year the festival has a GIG Rig, which will be the venue for live entertainment all over the weekend, with the finale nights entertainment being provided by “The Good Hustle”.
Rousing, toe-tapping sean-nós workshops will feature throughout the festival. The opening night concert will include an original play ‘The Blow In’ composed by local man and award-winning director Tristan Heanue. His prestigious credits include ‘Best Short Film’ & ‘Best First Time Director’ at the 2015 Sky Road Film Festival for his film ‘Today’.
Visitors will enjoy a string of invigorating outdoor events such as the Dawn Walk and the Mussel Fest 5k run in addition to beekeeping, sea-foraging and fun competitions for all ages.
Connemara Mussel Festival will take place from the 3rd– 5th May 2019 in Tullycross, Renvyle, Co. Galway. Further information about the event can be found at the official website https://connemaramusselfestival.com/.
About Connemara Mussel Festival
- Connemara Mussel Festival will celebrate its 14th years running this year
- This is a weekend packed full of activities to look forward to on the May Bank Holiday weekend, there’s something to suit everyone.
- Each year Killary Harbour produces up to 2000 tonnes of rope mussels, providing local employment that gives a sustainable use of the natural marine resource.
- The Connemara Mussel Festival celebrates this high quality, local, natural food that is uniquely the Killary mussel.
- For the past few years, the festival has joined with Galway County Council in their Green Your Festival initiative. With a particular focus on waste, all our food containers, implements and coffee cups are certified compostable and can be placed in the compost/food waste bins provided.
- The festival celebrates the finest quality, local , natural produce unique to the West of Ireland
- Follow the festival on Instagram (@connemaramusselfest), Twitter (@connemaramussel) and Facebook (Connemara Mussel Festival)
- Visitors can enjoy the magnificent beauty of all that the Wild Atlantic Way has to offer while learning from some of Ireland’s most successful chefs and culinary experts
- Please email email@example.com with any queries.
- Bookings this year will only be for the Children’s cookery events on both Saturday and Sunday – books up very quickly with an age limit of 6-12 years. Booking can be made through website. All other paid events will be payable on the door.
- The Agriaware Pet Farm will be on site on Saturday only- this is a free event for all the family
For more details about Connemara Mussel Festival, including booking information, see the official website https://connemaramusselfestival.com/.